PHOTO BY JIM JORGENSEN
To continue reading…
Register for free to get limited access to the best reporting available.
Free accounts can read one story a month without paying. Register for free
Or subscribe to get unlimited access to the best reporting available. Subscribe
To learn about group subscriptions, click here.
Already a subscriber? Login
The America Collegiate Rowing Association became the final collegiate championship to officially cancel its regatta, completing the total loss of the spring season.
ACRA had been the lone holdout and had stated earlier in the week that it would hold off making a decision about the May 22-24 regatta until April 13th, but Friday afternoon it went ahead and made the call to eliminate the regatta.
The decision was made in the following statement released by ACRA:
“With the continued significant progression of the COVID-19 situation, and with the vast majority of ACRA Programs shifting from “suspended” to “canceled”, particularly in the past several days – the decision has been made to cancel the 2020 ACRA National Championships.
“There have not yet been any decisions regarding the future impact on eligibility, including Novice classification. The Board will look to provide this information for you all be early next week.
“The ACRA Board wishes all of our members and communities to stay safe and healthy at this time. Please continue to follow the instructions of all government officials regarding safety measures. This is a new and challenging experience for all of us, particularly difficult for our student-athletes that have worked hard all season. We ask the rowing community to continue supporting each other. We look forward to the next season of competition and returning back to the water when it is safe to do so.”
Thursday after the 82nd Dad Vail Regatta, one of the last major 2020 spring collegiate regattas not to be lost to the COVID-19 pandemic, officially canceled and left ARCA the lone holdout.
Regatta officials announced Thursday afternoon that it had given up trying to wait to see if they could hold out for the scheduled May event, and officially canceled the regatta. A statement posted to the regatta website reads:
“In order to comply with government recommendations, the Dad Vail Regatta Organizing Committee has decided to cancel staging the 82nd Annual Dad Vail Regatta, on Friday, May 8, and Saturday, May 9, 2020. As previously reported, DVROC adheres to all emergency health protocols adopted and announced by Federal, State and City authorities.
“The Dad Vail Regatta Organizing Committee members have been collaborating daily regarding the 2020 Regatta and we are aware and disappointed that the current health crisis has caused many traditional Dad Vail schools to cancel their season, and the impact that has had on coaches and athletes.”